Monday, March 28, 2011

Artist you've probably never heard of, but should have: Sun Glitters


So here's the run down on Sun Glitters:
This dude from Luxembourg named Victor Ferreira has been making music since 1998. He was using the name Sug(r)cane. So the artist formally known as Sug(r)cane is now known as Sun Glitters. On his bandcamp page, Victor describes his music "Sun Glitters sound is an ocean of lush melodies, pitch-shifted vocal samples, ghostly digi-diva choirs, warm bass melodies driven by alternately dense and relaxing beatwork combinations between downtempo and wonky beats." These words describe his music much more eloquently then I could. They are also words of truth. On a recent music binge, my roommate pulled out one of my favorite recent made-up genres "post dub-step" to describe Sun Glitters. Pretty spot on I would say, but I don't think post-dubstep fully encompasses the reverb-soaked vocals that help define Sun Glitters. Victor does sound quite similar to a pre-major-label release James Blake, with squeaky little kid vocals, I would add another genre to the mix to account for some of the more grown-up sounding vocals in Sun Glitters. So I'm creating post-dubstep-gaze, whatever this even means I'll let you decide, and by you I mean no one, since no one reads this blog. And now that I have joined the masses in creating my own genre, I will leave you with a link to Sun Glitters Bandcamp and some sampling tracks from Sun Glitters most recent release "everything could be fine", and by most recent I mean in a very relative way, as there are three releases on Sun Glitters' bandcamp that were all released in March of this year, so like right now. Enjoy, and hopefully support Victor by buying his album off his bandcamp.



Sun Glitters- too much to lose

Sun Glitter- Outside (reprise0

Sun Glitters- Beside Me

Sun Glitters- Felt Asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment